Five Dead After San Diego Mosque Shooting; Two Teen Suspects Killed
Five people were killed — including both teenage suspects — during a shooting at a San Diego mosque on the morning of May 19, 2026. San Diego Police confirmed the deaths at a press conference held less than two hours after the incident. Officers responding to an active-shooter call engaged the suspects outside the building; both teens died from police gunfire. A sixth victim was taken to Sharp Grossmont Hospital in critical condition and was undergoing surgery as of this report.
Authorities have not released the names of any victims or suspects pending family notification. The San Diego Police Department said there is no evidence of a terrorism connection at this stage, though the investigation is ongoing and the FBI has been notified. Detectives are reviewing exterior security camera footage and canvassing a growing list of witnesses who were inside and near the Islamic Center of La Mesa at the time of the shooting.
The shooting adds to a deeply troubling pattern of violence targeting religious spaces in the United States. The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) issued a statement calling the attack “a stain on our nation’s conscience” and urged law enforcement to treat it as a potential hate crime. National advocacy groups said they were monitoring the situation closely.
Witnesses described a chaotic scene. “I saw people running out the doors and someone lying on the ground near the entrance — I could see the blood,” said a congregant who declined to give his name. Another witness said he heard what sounded like rapid gunfire lasting approximately 30 seconds before police arrived.
San Diego Mayor issued an emergency proclamation activating additional victim services and coordination between police, fire-rescue, and mental health responders. The White House press secretary said President Trump had been briefed on the incident and offered prayers for the victims and their families.
The Islamic Center of La Mesa has served the San Diego Muslim community for over 30 years. Community leaders called for calm while urging anyone with information to contact police immediately.